Andreas Broeckmann via nettime-l on Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:52:41 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> the silence on the rising fascism / non-violence

Dear Frédéric, thank you for your response.

Am 18.12.23 um 10:59 schrieb Frédéric Neyrat:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Yes, shame can be a very good way to produce a form of consciousness,
> of acknowledgement of a terrible event, like the one that happened on > the 7th of October, you're right. Shame, and/or guilt, compassion,
> disgust, many possibilities.

You are right; I deliberately suggested only one of these. It is easy to make a list of possible topics. It is very difficult to talk about one topic. Let's try and talk about one thing properly.

However, it's strange that you quote, from transplanet.org , only the one thing that _seems_ to support your claim (why not https://www.trans-planet.org/abolishing-the-world-order-in-a-radical-ceasefire or the poem of Lewis Freedman that we published https://www.trans-planet.org/inaugural-harm or the originary call there: https://www.trans-planet.org/a-call-to-rise-for-peace)

I want to defend that I quote only the first words from the start page; the people responsible for the website should put there, on their first "banner", what they really mean, and not require me to click elsewhere to find differentiation and disclaimers.

Let me also add that you put in your translation a term that is _not_ in the French text, the term "murder," "/meurtre/" in French - maybe you wanted to say "violence"? (but that's the same term in French).

You are right - my rendering of (fr.) "mort" as (en.) "murder" is wrong; excuse my bad French (the sentence I refer to is "Leur pacification s’appelle la mort."); my main critique here, though, was of the rhetoric, built around the equalising (fr.) "est" (en. "is"), which constructs a logical chain that I find hard to follow.

And yes, I'm also worried, desperate, crying, in pain, and angry...

Best regards,
-a

So yes, as you said, difficult to "contribute to a conversation" like this one. But we need to! I need to assume that you were _not_ dishonest but, like me, worried, desperate, crying, in pain, and angry and then desperate etc. I need, we need to think of a way to interrupt the circle of death!

My best,

Frédéric
__________________________________
________________ Website: Atopies <https://atoposophie.wordpress.com/>
_______ ALienstagram <https://www.instagram.com/alienocene/>

On Mon, Dec 18, 2023 at 9:50 AM Andreas Broeckmann via nettime-l <nettime-l@lists.nettime.org <mailto:nettime-l@lists.nettime.org>> wrote:

    Am 18.12.23 um 01:23 schrieb podinski via nettime-l:

      > the silences ( here in Berlin and DE especially ) are really
      > disturbing ! and shameful !

    pod, i understand the irritation and the agitation, though it is
    perhaps
    not so difficult to comprehend the general situation in berlin if you
    take the history of the past 75 (+3+12+15+4+43+x) years into
    consideration.* which perhaps doesn't make the current situation less
    disturbing, but the dilemma more understandable that many find
    themselves in.

    as regards the discussion here on the list, it's hard for me personally
    to contribute to conversations that go like this one. where the meek
    fear of antisemitism is equalised with a call to murder, and where
    differentiation of place and event is extrapolated into global
    analysis.
    - see two examples below. (one comes from trans-planet.org
    <http://trans-planet.org> that Frédéric
    pointed us to: i respect the thinking that leads to these opinions, but
    where to start a conversation that is headlined by "the interdiction of
    the event with Judith Butler ... is an interdiction of peace ... and is
    the promotion of war ... and murder"?)

    i have an inkling that a careful conversation about shame and why
    people
    feel it (and why other people don't), might be an interesting starting
    point. [who feels shame for the events of 7 October?] - maybe these are
    conversations that one can not easily have in a large, public space.

    greetings,
    -a

    PS: as regards the case of the Oyoun cultural centre in berlin, i
    recommend to also read up on the history of the "Werkstatt der
    Kulturen", and to recap the political changes in berlin since the 2016
    and the february 2023 elections. for some of the political
    decision-makers, the current situation might only be a pretext (in
    which
    case the political campaign to save Oyoun's funding might have to be
    recalibrated).

    * The German Minister of Economics, Robert Habeck of the Green Party,
    explained in November, some weeks after the pogrom of 7 October, the
    basics of an attitude which is complicated, not easy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdZvkkpJaVI

    Am 18.12.23 um 08:11 schrieb Frédéric Neyrat via nettime-l:

     > Indeed, which civility should "speak"? Maybe the one of a planetary
     > ceasefire, rethinking non-violence at its roots (MLK, Gandhi, J.
    Butler's
     > latest book, "The Force of non-violence," see also the 7th chapter of
     > Robinson's Black Marxism). We're working on this with some friends:
     > https://www.trans-planet.org/ <https://www.trans-planet.org/>
    (texts in French and English:

    "L’interdiction de la rencontre publique « Contre l’antisémitisme, son
    instrumentalisation et pour la paix révolutionnaire en Palestine », où
    Judith Butler devait parler au nom de Jewish Voice for Peace, est
    l’expression d’un vœu profond : interdire la paix.
    Interdire la paix est promouvoir la guerre.
    Promouvoir la guerre est appeler à la violence :
    la violence pour maintenir un ordre injuste, pour mener des guerres à
    l’extérieur et pour assurer l’ordre intérieur par la brutalité
    policière.
    Leur pacification s’appelle la mort."

     > Re: the silence on the rising fascism
     > by Brian Holmes via nettime-l
     >
     > Similar to Germany, the center left and right have come together
    in the US
     > to seal off any public discussion about the war, despite polls
    showing that
     > a majority is against sending arms to massacre Palestinians.
    Meanwhile the
     > big discussion in the press is literally about dictatorship, how much
     > dictatorship would be possible under a second Trump presidency.
    It's eerie,
     > because at the same time you have Milei assuming power in
    Argentina and
     > devaluing the peso by 51% on the first day, with his security
    minister
     > saying that previously existing restraints will be abandoned,
    police on the
     > street will carry live rounds and protests will be confined to the
     > sidewalk. That's a recipe for a social explosion on a very short
    timeline.
     > In short this is the heaviest atmosphere I ever lived through in the
     > Americas.
     >
     > It seems that climate change, the Russo-Chinese challenge to US
    hegemony,
     > and at the same time, boundary-busting technological innovations and
     > twisted perspectives of yet another capitalist growth binge have
    all opened
     > up a nihilistic sense of the need for states and elites to make a
    move. The
     > geopolitical crisis and paradigm shift that Armin Medosch and I
    were so
     > keen to analyze a decade ago is happening now. It's already on a
    huge scale
     > and it could get bigger. At the same time I think civil society
    has only
     > begun to speak, and there is an incredible amount to be said. The
    Empire
     > itself is naked barbarism. What are we gonna do?
-- # distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
    # more info: https://www.nettime.org <https://www.nettime.org>
    # contact: nettime-l-owner@lists.nettime.org
    <mailto:nettime-l-owner@lists.nettime.org>