Allan Siegel via nettime-l on Tue, 19 Dec 2023 13:12:22 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> "the sounds of silence"

Dear Nettimers.
*“Hello darkness my old friend / I’ve come to talk with you again…*” (Simon & Garfunkel)

My reading of the Podinskii email (and Brian’s earlier posting) was that it intended to bring into focus an awareness of the alarming nature of this historical moment; and further, how cultural organisations and groups of people were responding to the crisis in Gaza and Israel. As well as the political and social ramifications of multiple crises: the war in Ukraine, COP etc. The consequences cannot and should not be underestimated. It is far better for people to voice their various responses to these cataclysms then to be silent; NETTIME exists as an important discursive space within which the diversity of our collective voices can heard.

Also,  I don’t understand the usefulness of referring to “The Left” (as in the example below) as if it was some homogeneous entity; there is a wide variety of political groups and collectivities that are responding to the crisis in Palestine and Israel; the diversity should be valued and not reduced to some imaginary entity. 'For a consistently democratic and internationalist left' https://leftrenewal.net/. ; “We have written this text as a critique of a common sense that has come to predominate across much of the left.”

Best
Allan