Joseph Rabie via Nettime-tmp on Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:57:25 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Direction of Travel

> Le 14 juin 2023 à 12:56, Jean-Noël Montagné via Nettime-tmp <nettime-tmp@mail.ljudmila.org> a écrit :
>
> I disagree with Vesna's "inclusive" approach
>
> moderation requires Netiquette know-how
> moderation requires good manners and politeness
> moderation requires a talent for analyzing content
> moderation requires diplomacy to manage conflicts
> moderation requires a personal culture capable of understanding the intellectual concepts used in Nettime content
> moderation requires intellectual acuity to detect unhealthy or discriminating content
> but none of these skills are linked to skin color, age, gender or sexual preference.
>
> JN

I just have to say how Jean-Noël's list of six injunctions and one disclaimer fills me with unease. It sounds like a top gate-keeping member of a Bourdieusian cultural field staking out his preserve. Such a list implies that there should be a selection committee to vet candidates to ascertain that they conform to the specifications. And to even be considered, will they have to fill in a form, provide a CV, be interviewed? By whom? Which implies that undoubtedly a second selection committee will be necessary to designate members of the first selection committee, and we will be on the way to instating a nettocracy.

I wonder how many people here who were willing and able to moderate, and who have the qualities, but on reading this list and not having confidence in their own credentials, fearing the opprobrium of those believed to be dominant, prefer to exclude themselves rather than taking the risk of participating.

I would say that the only essential quality for a moderator is beneficence. What is important is that all the people who join the moderation group work together to fix the standards organically when dealing with particular potentially problematic content.

Joe.

#  more info: https://mail.ljudmila.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nettime-tmp