Heiko Recktenwald via nettime-l on Thu, 24 Aug 2023 10:55:40 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The ends of democracy

Am 24.08.23 um 10:06 schrieb Allan Siegel via nettime-l:
I read a text by Lukács recently, to paraphrase: he talked about how people disconnect historical episodes from one another ignoring how various historical threads are woven together.

Thanks, back to reality. The events of 1922. Lenin could not imagine that it would create any problem in future to give Newrussia to Littlerussia. But he was wrong. He did only think about geopolitics and China and the problems of the Soviets in Georgia. You can only make policy with the people you have. By this the Soviets had created a crisis in Georgia. The old arrogance did not work anymore.

What does 1922 mean today? Read Article 62 of the Vienna Convention on the law of treaties. You cannot change borders, but you can trash the unitarian state with one language of the state. And there were enough good reasons to do that after 2019. What do we know of the Ukraine?

Knowledge and feelings. Dreams and reality. The future and the past.  Feelings are the end of reason. See Lewis Carrolls Hunting of the Snark and what Aldous Huxley wrote about this in his comment to the Devils of Loudun, it becomes a religion:

Fit the First

THE LANDING

“Just the place for a Snark!” the Bellman cried,
As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
By a finger entwined in his hair.

“Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
That alone should encourage the crew.
Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What I tell you three times is true.”

Best, H.