Brian Holmes via nettime-l on Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:08:12 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The ends of democracy

It seems to me that Heiko, borrowing from Lewis Carrol, said a lot about
the decline of the democratic public sphere:

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What I tell you three times is true."

Hmm, referring to Allan's point about Martin Wolff, right, his whole
discourse says capitalist democracy needs better elites. He's probably told
it a lot more than three times. Wait, huh? Doesn't it also need better
citizens? I think citizenry-elites is a feedback loop. An old and
overburdened one at this point, to be sure, going back to the Manchester
days of what Andreas Malm calls "fossil capitalism." Still one has to work
at and beyond one's own place in this bloody loop. Complicity with the
told-you-three-times rule of populism is a failure of citizenship, and just
a plain political failure of the individual, even if you're cynical about
citizenship.

Louis Rawlins is thinking about "what it looks like to have a new
politics," which to me is the most interesting. One way is trying to
stimulate different discussions, different aesthetics, outside the "Jump to
Conclusions" variety (lol for the video!). I do it by participating in
art/politics groups, like Casa Río in Argentina, or the Mississippi River
Open School for Kinship and Social Exchange here in the Midwest, or what's
now the Anthropocene Commons (formerly Anthropocene Curriculum), up in the
stratosphere and landing soon at a university near you. With my wife
Claire, we're also running Watershed Art and Ecology out of our house in
Chicago, and in terms of "what it looks like to have a new politics," I am
particularly interested in the work of Muindi Fanuel Muindi, who's coming
to Watershed next May. All these people and things can be easily looked up
if you're curious.

I'm in favor of unlimited democratic experiments in civil society, without
writing off the importance of government and its elites. In fact I have
deliberately opted for schizophrenia, throwing my all into the grassroots
at one moment, then actively trying to "see like a state" the next. Here in
the US it's amazing what has been accomplished by the open revolt and
profound social critique of the grassroots movement following George
Floyd's assassination in Minnesota. Almost astonishingly, the results
include not just falling statues and major change in attitudes at the
molecular level, but also the most progressive legislation to come out of
the Minnesota state legislature for the past fifty years at least. It's far
from solving all problems but still encouraging.

I'm also reading a philosophy book that comes close to the issues of the
original post. It's called "Green Leviathan or the Poetics of Political
Liberty." The point is how to create a social contract on a global scale,
under the conditions demanded and allowed by climate change and AI. In
other words: How to achieve a political liberty that can solve the problems
that individual freedom has created? This has been a major question on
nettime for years. How to make democratic use of networked technology to
address collective problems and obtain functioning solutions? What kinds of
non-technological ethics and aesthetics are needed? How to abandon a purely
libertarian or anarcho-capitalist conception of individual freedom and
national sovereignty, without creating a coercive Hobbesian super-state
that reboots the old dead-ends in automated form, at a higher power? Well,
the book has a bit of that idealized classroom feel that often comes from
mainstream liberal philosophers. And in terms of details about AI, there
aren't any, it's just assumed that AI could help with an awful lot of
wicked problems at global scale, if it don't become a wicked problem in
itself and "destroy the world" as the pundits say. Still in all, Green
Leviathan is fascinating, and it definitely pays attention to the civil
society-state feedback loop in its vital complexities. So I think I'll
finish this one.

best to all, Brian