Allan Siegel via nettime-l on Thu, 24 Aug 2023 10:06:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The ends of democracy

Mr. Wolff, quoted in the Washington post has this to say: “The corruption, injustice, and lies of elites are powerful solvents of bonds that tie citizens together, inevitably replacing patriotism with deepening cynicism,” he writes. “Without decent and competent elites, democracy will perish.” Without having to go too much further this explains a lot about Wolff's conception of democracy - his feelings about capitalism are well documented. I read a text by Lukács recently, to paraphrase: he talked about how people disconnect historical episodes from one another ignoring how various historical threads are woven together.  So, from Wolff's perspective the contemporary "corruption, injustice, and lies of elites" has not much connection to pre-1930's corruption or the post-civil war injustices in the U.S. There is a crisis in so-called democratic capitalism but a meaningful analysis would throw out the ahistorical framework that seemingly underlies Wolff's crisis.

Thanks for bringing this into the spotlight Brian.

best
allan