Heiko Recktenwald via nettime-l on Thu, 24 Aug 2023 10:02:29 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Question of the Don

Am 24.08.23 um 07:14 schrieb Rahul Goswami via nettime-l:
"The case of Trump makes this obvious. If he is elected again, democracy's days are likely numbered. The aspect of collective regulation (rule by law) is obviously flouted by Trump and his followers,"

I cant stand it anymore. The Don and democracy. Democracy is for everybody and what he did was an experiment in the law of states. Le contrat social. People can make stupid decisions but those decisions are their own. People in his name did try a revolution by occupying the Hill.

I dont want to talk of Doha, China and so on. Good or bad? But to understand the meaning of democracy lets take an example. Holy beings against the devil. There was a president who did not sign a treaty with the EU. He was removed by the street in some town for whatever reasons. Holy happenings. And the EU tells us: Yes, that was freedom. It was larceny with the help of some friends.

And now we have the good against the bad. Neutral institutions like the ICRC are insulted. The status naturalis. There are a lot of things that are much more important than democracy and freedom in the sense of Anne Applebaum.

Best, H.