james stauffer on Sat, 19 Jun 1999 21:08:45 +0000

Re: Syndicate: moral responsibility

>  But I
> found myself, after a decade of living uncomfortably close to the
> bloody disaster of the Wars for Greater Serbia -- a war that a
> majority of the inhabitants of Serbia proper seemed to be entirely
> unaware was happening at all --

michael

I am always struck by how simple your view of the break up of the Former
Yugoslavia is.  There are never Serbian refugees, or Croatian or Bosnian
atrocities.  The Serbs did not desolve a relatively functional state on their
own.  Was/Is Tudjman some sort of innocent?
Why was Germany, and much of the West, so eager to support the breakup of the
old state?  Did Serbs have no legitimate interest in trying to protect Serbian
populations long established in Croatia, Bosnia, and now Kosovo?

You try to sound fair minded, but you see this in a way in which all evil in the
Balkans is Serbian.  We are now going to get the KLA up close and personal,
although I suspect Western media will do their best to downplay Albanian
atrocities as they did in the build up to the NATO action you are so
enthusiastic about.

james