intim@ on Tue, 13 Oct 1998 02:44:47 +0100

Re: Syndicate: SEAFair webTV + pictures

tina,

> about the exhibition-presentation at skopje:
> how did the sound work in this situation?

there was no sound because the computers didn't have any sound
equipment (soundcards, speakers etc.).

about the theme of the festival: every year there is always a lot of
communing in skopje, because the people are nice, open and helpful.
but as much as the artists are concerned: we all know (and you also
explained very well in your previous posting) that only a few
festivals really care about us. people are organising net art
festivals, competitions etc all around the world because it's popular,
fancy and for that reasons they often get some money from different
institutions and sponsors, even governmental organisations.
unfortunately it was not the case in skopje - if it would be we would
all be there together.

yes, some invite net art theorists to talk about net art, but they
somehow don't like net artist because most of the contemporary arts
curators don't know much about net art. and they are afraid of us
because we really create what they are talking about. more or less.
i was on many net art festivals but unfortunately i didn't meet a lot
of other net artists "live" no matter how much i miss the real contact
with other people working on the net.

but i think the situation in skopje is different: i know the
organisers and they really know much about net art and they also care
about artists. so our debate should address some other festival as an
example, because there are even worse situations.

as i said before there were two major problems: not enough money and
the presence of the syndicate meeting in the frame of the festival,
which was the biggest mistake in my opinion. all these
(un?)expectedly resulted in the problem we are talking about.

but let's stop here for a while and invite other artists and also
organisers to step into the debate and give their arguments and
conceptions. i also don't want to sound as an
advocate/lawyer/defender of the organisers because i recognise the
mistakes you (we) are talking about.

and for the record: tina, i appreciate your contribution to this
debate and i stand behind all your arguments. i even think all the
organisers of various net art festivals should read them.

> I never did get a catalogue.... is there one?

there is: a catalogue, a poster and a programme. maybe you should
contact <mpandil@soros.org.mk> and they will certainly send you
the material. of course it would be ok if they would send it to all
the net artists selected for the festival.

igor
intim@

inside references:
http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east/1120.html