Tina LaPorta on Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:58:56 +0100

Re: Syndicate: SEAFair webTV + pictures

hi again....
about the exhibition-presentation at skopje: how did the sound work in this
situation? It would seem that many of the works have it and while each
computer seemed to sit in close proximity to the next I am curious to hear
about how the audio of one piece may have bled into another work.... ?

I am also interested to hear how the theme of the festival "communing" was
addressed? Particularily since most of the (net)artists were not there. How
do we commune in this situation? Or-- maybe an on-line componant to the
festival could have brought more of us into it-- if even from a distance.
(see cyberconf's hi-risk site as an excellent example of reaching out and
in simultaneously.)

For me, it is an odd feeling of having my work involved in a festival and
yet being so disconnected from it, not even knowing how the piece will
be(or was) shown. I never did get a catalogue.... is there one?

There has been some discussion on many of these inter-linking lists that
net.art theory seems to be moving at a faster pace then the actual work. I
wonder if there were more of a commitment to bring artists to these various
events, and not to privilige the theorists only, then some very fruitful
results could be achieved in this field. So it is no wonder that theory is
charging ahead so boldly when the individuals writing the texts are the
primary ones being exposed to "unmediated" ideas, in real-time.

Anyway igor, these are some of the thoughts and questions that crept into
my dreams late last night after reading your post to this list....
Tina

Tina LaPorta
laporta@interport.net
http://www.users.interport.net/~laporta/women_in_new_media.html