honor on Wed, 21 Oct 1998 07:35:59 +0100

Syndicate: Re: Syndicate of Net-Artists

hi syndicate,

like melinda, i am approaching this discussion from a somewhat southern perspective (.au), as opposed to eastern or western perspectives ;)
this lively debate about the relationship between net.art, festivals and listerv gatherings has been most invigorating to observe, and has finally enticed me out of lurking.

[btw: thanks to josephine berry for giving otherwise faceless lurking community a voice ;)
>And let's face it, where would you all be without us? This legion of
>quivering intellectual rabbits whose awe of the post-it intelligentsia is
>so great that we'd almost rather cut off our right hands than hit that
>send button. ]

etc. anyway ...

melantie wrote:

>I think that we have started a really interesting debate with
>ideas about the treatment of Net-Art and Net Artists.
>I am glad that it is happening on the Syndicate list
>but do to the large corpus of issues it covers
>perhaps we could set a separate list for the interested.

well, although i think the idea of furthering and deepening this dialogue is really important, do you think it is necessary to decentralise the discussion by setting up an alternative forum? if you are subscribed to as many mailing lists as i am ;), the idea of having to monitor the evolution of yet another discussion forum seems a little bit daunting. i actually really like the fact that these discussions are taking place in the wider syndicate forum. what is says to me is that this is presently one of the central issues which syndicate subscribers are thinking about / responding to, and playing out this debate in the wider forum informs the whole syndicate community of these ideas.

also, though i haven't been following 7-11 for some time, so i have no idea what's happening with it (i had to unsubscribe after about 6MB of acsii - my computer only has so much HD space y'know ;) ), but couldn't we be cc-ing some of this discourse to forums like that, which are already established for the exploration of net.art? this could be one way of extending the ideas we are thinking about to other net.art communities ...

>Can we form some transcontinental body which could promote/protect the
>rights of Net-Artist? Do you think there is a need for this?

absolutely. so do you think that discussion on listserv forums like syndicate goes some way to do this? perhaps the issue of educating arts organisations and curators into issues to do with development and presentation of net.art from deep europe (and beyond), is something which can be put on the agenda for future syndicate gatherings as well?

just thoughts really.

best

honor

ps. just read tina laporta's last posting, and it seems she was either reading my mind or monitoring my keystrokes ;)

======== : 61 8 82320142
randomness is less a question of pooling knowledge

======== : 61 8 82319037
than an accumulation of our uncertainties

======== : 15 kenton st, sa 5000, aus
nasty little constructs that we may or may not be susceptible to are

======== : honor@va.com.au
surrounded by an incredible network of lines

======== : http://www.radioqualia.va.com.au/