Le E on Sat, 24 Oct 1998 00:53:27 +0100

Syndicate: exhibition of net art

As a recent subscriber to this list from that supposed bastion of open
minded technological innovation, The U.S.'s Silicone Valley, I am
constantly impressed with the level of discussion found here with
regard to the furtherance of web-based expression as it's own art form.

As a matter of opinion, I am always a bit discouraged by attempts to
fit web based work into traditional paradigms, just as I am
discouraged by attempts to fit traditional mediums into the arena
provided by the web.  To be clear, I am equally disheartened by
computer monitors featuring web sites in the space of a gallery as I
am by web sites that feature scanned images of paintings as a means of
promotion for a gallery.

It seems that the task at hand is not figuring out how to infiltrate
the traditional art venues, but to figure out what it is about web
based art that is unique, and how the medium itself can be promoted in
such a way as to bring attention to those who are furthering the
dialogue about the medium's expressive potential, rather than those
who are simply interested in the promotion of their analog concerns.

As the medium of the web is still based in the concept of "the page"
it is very easy to draw a similarity between the web and the novel.
Likewise, books, whether focused on imagery or focused on language
still enjoy and demand a degree of intimacy between the work and the
viewer.  It is my opinion that attempts to bring current web-practice
wholesale into the gallery will in fact dilute the power of work that
so effectively utilizes the restrictions and benefits of this new
medium.  If individuals try to make work that fits in the gallery will
they not necessarily neglect, to some degree, those who are enjoying
the intimate space of choosing their own moment to experience this work.

In regards to artists traveling to present work, I find it hard to
believe that there would be any other satisfactory way to showcase
this kind of work outside of the web community.

I think a reasonable if somewhat archaic model for the public
presentation of web based art goes back to our friend the book.  When
an author (and any of us working on a web-site are inevitably refered
to as authors) is sent on a book tour, he/she is not expected to stand
in front of an audience turning pages while reading the text (unless
of course we are talking about a children's book - which then opens up
a whole other discussion).  The author may have some slides of images
from a book that focuses on imagery, or will read particularly
relevant sections of the work.  These devices seem to be quite
effective in drawing interest, even if they do demand that an
individual take the next step to beg, borrow, steal, or buy the book.
The audience member must also take the time to spend that intimate and
solitary time with the book.

While this analogy is not perfect, I think it could provide a valuable
beginning for a theory or plan.  The audience for web based work is
growing.  There are more and more individuals who are able to
appreciate web based works for what they are.  With a little patience,
I believe the recognition will come as the sympathetic audience grows,
but there is little sense in settling for sub-standard public
presentations of work that was created for a medium that is about a
very different kind of space than the space of the gallery.

The conversion of book readers into web surfers is yet another,
related issue that I am curious about, but I figure for a first post
this should be quite enough.

==
LeE

webmaster