John Preston via Nettime-tmp on Fri, 23 Jun 2023 12:47:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Congrats & two 'suggestions'

Hi Patrice!

Thanks for your gentle email on netiquette 😊

Unfortunately it is very difficult for me to format my emails as 80 columns because my provider, Tutanota, is end-to-end encrypted between the client and their server, and therefore I have to use their Web client with a non-monospaced font, and no line with counter, margins, auto hard wrap, etc.

Also, I have always preferred to have long lines and let the client do the wrapping, since it is an assumption that the person on the other side has 80 columns, but they may prefer more or less, depending on how they layout their windows! I have had many experiences trying to shrink an 80 column window to fit multiple windows next to each other and all of the formatting going very janky with every other line being very short.

Removing the long run of the thread from the email though is something I can definitely do! I will try to remember next time I reply to a message on the list. 😊

Also can I ask, what does p+2D stand for?

Thanks,
John (they/them)

22 Jun 2023, 11:24 by nettime-tmp@mail.ljudmila.org:

Dear Nettimers,

After a redeeming period of post-goofing mortification ;-) I now read the entire nettime process/progress on the archive, starting with Christian's kind reaction on my ... goofing.

All I can say is that I am very pleased with the display & amount of positive energy to make the list future-proof.

I have just two items of advice to posters - they are unbelievably trivial, but nonetheless not totally devoid of importance - or so I believe:

(i) Try to format yr posts in such a way that they arrive as compact text on the archives (and not as a long running lines). I do not know how to make that work - hard returns may be? (& I hope it works for this post, as I am - yet again - on someone else's machine ;-)

(ii) try to avoid reproducing the entire thread when reacting, limiting it to only the relevant post(s) you're reacting to.

My less-than-zillion Zimbucks,
Cheerio & make success!
p+2D!

# more info: https://mail.ljudmila.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nettime-tmp