Dmytri Kleiner on Sat, 16 Jan 2021 17:45:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Left Needs a New Strategy

On 2021-01-16 16:53, Joseph Rabie wrote:
Le 16 janv. 2021 à 11:24, Dmytri Kleiner <dk@telekommunisten.net> a écrit :

Judging China is not a part of his strategy, and should not be, because it's a bad strategy. We should trust the Chinese workers to resolve their contradictions, and focus on our own rather than allowing our elite to propagandize into thinking they are our enemies.

My layman's understanding of Communism is that one of its essential
markers is the collective ownership of the means of production.
China's reversion to a market economy suggests that Communism in that
country has for all intents and purposes failed.

Instead of judging china according your layman's understanding of doctrine, you should recognize the outcomes, especially those of human development and popular approval of government policies, and figure out how you can achieve these in your own country.

It's very unlikely a doctrinaire analysis will help, and any attempt to do so becomes very technical and context specific very quickly, so it's best to forget this mirage.

You can't do "a China" in your country. You can, however, work to improve the conditions of people in your country, while working against the aggression of your country abroad.

For those (as myself) who consider Capitalism a dead end, trying to
understand why Communism could not perdure in a country such as China
(or the USSR, or the Eastern Bloc) is of interest.

Communism is an ends, not a means, it must be achieved, and it can not be "tried" or just "done." This is the first thing to understand, and rest assured the Chinese workers do understand this. China has a Communist party, but it does not "have Communism" and can not.

We do not move toward such ends by implementing some sort of plug-and-play doctrine that checks a list of idealist checkboxes. Communism can not be installed and fix everything like a software upgrade.

We move forward by way of a mobilized and militant working class identifying it's principle contradictions and using it's class power to overcome them, and iteratively moving on to the next contradiction.

This is a dialogical process, I've made many citations towards work that has elaborated on this, most accessible and applicable in a western context is Freire and McAlevey, the process is broadly called dialectical materialism, which is a fancy way of saying "problems and loops."

If you want to understand problems and loops from the Chinese perspective, Mao's On Practice and On Contradiction are key, if you prefer something that wont trigger the PTSD all westerns have from decades of propagandist brainwashing, then you can find a lot of the key concepts in business management literature, old-school like Eliyahu Goldratt "The Goal", which explains the "Theory of Constraints" from a business point view, but of course is bounded by the same logic of Mao's On Contradiction, and W. Edwards Deming's "The New Economics" which explains iterative cycles and statistical management, along the lines of Mao's On Practice. If you want something more tech-conference hipster, then these same ideas, completely devoid of any political content, can be found in the agile and design literature of people like Jeff Gothelf.

--
Dmytri Kleiner
@dmytri