mp on Mon, 4 Nov 2019 14:58:01 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Facebook

On 03/11/2019 20:36, Alan Sondheim wrote:

> The loss is more important to me

> On Sun, 3 Nov 2019, Frederic Neyrat wrote:
>> 1/ FB enables to create a "community," that's good for sure;?
>> 2/ but in the same time, it destroys?the condition of the possibility of
>> community/togetherness/Gemeinwesen/?tre-ensemble, etc.

Individual, particular and hence relatively short term perspective and
context (Alan's) vs. collective, abstract and hence relatively long term
perspective and context (Frederic's).

A common disjuncture.

It is a complex issue. On the one hand it makes sense to adjust your
means to the ends you desire. Be the change you want to see and all that.

On the other hand, it could be seen as a form of neoliberalisation when
the responsibility for the future of the system is distributed to
individuals - and at the end of the day, it is impossible to live in
this planetary urbanisation without acting in destructive ways, so we
all have to cut corners. Email is also shit for the web of life we are
entangled in.