Adam Burns on Thu, 5 Sep 2019 11:57:02 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Flying in Berlin's Sky, an Afternoon Investigation - September 22

Dear Harv,

Thank you for adding insight from your expertise in this area.

I was approached by an NGO several years ago to develop robust,
embedded, low power ADSB radio loggers to be deployed in remote areas of
conflict and strife, specifically to assist with detection of anomalies
that may assist with discovery of human and arms trafficking activity.

Third party aircraft radio beacon detection networks (such as
Flightaware, etc) were not trusted, as their aggregated data collection
and web presentation were seen as mediated, potentially edited to remove
such data.

There was knowledge and recognition within the NGO that not all aircraft
are fitted with ADSB beacons and not all aircraft fitted with beacons
would have them switched on during such "sensitive" flights.

However over the years, increased regulatory mandates for the active
installation and usage of ADSB within aircraft to assist with airspace
management has meant that most commercial and military aircraft now have
the beacons fitted. But of course as you say, no doubt not all military
flights will have them active. Transnational flights that are picked up
via radar or visual identification without their corresponding beacons
run the risk of detection and potential international dispute (a form of
peer review of the beacon regulation).

The NGOs rational for this project was specifically to cover anomalous
flight data that differed from or was not detected (through remoteness)
by 3rd party detector networks or public flight records, as well as the
case of human error, arrogance or ignorance in terms of beacons being
left on by military or especially subcontractor flights engaged in such
activities.

Although not an expert in the field, I find the ADSB beacons for
aircraft and the corresponding AIS beacons for shipping and waterway
entities a fascinating evolution in terms of direct exposure of transit
network placement and movement. With the availability of cheap consumer
USB radio detectors, Internet based networks such as Flightaware, etc.
have business models based on highly distributed networks of local radio
receivers providing a service of aggregation and correlation in global
visibility of human and goods movement.

Regards,

Adam.