Harv Stanic Staalman on Wed, 4 Sep 2019 22:53:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Flying in Berlin's Sky, an Afternoon Investigation - September 22

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 17:43:47 +0200
Tatiana Bazzichelli <tbazz@disruptiv.biz> wrote this:

> Dear Harv,
>
> you get here the answer directly from Emmanuel Freudenthal, who I am
> quoting:
>
> "Flightradar, Flightaware and all the websites apart from one
> (ADSB-Exchange) remove many aircrafts from the data that they present on
> their website.
>
> More than 80% of all military aircraft and 60% of all government
> aircraft aren't shown.

Hi and thanks for your answer.

But that is simply not true and I am not really saying trust me - but I
do. :)
When I was 18 years old, I have been educated as a military flight
controller - you know that guy in the tower, nervous and smoking a lot
while looking into the "lighthouse ray" of a, now ancient, Raytheon
round radar.

I have had many years ago a correspondence with many airplanes enthusiasts
so I got to know the guys who build trackers - such as F24 and some
others.

Especially that is as conspiracy theories would claim, not really hidden
info, so while it is true that all are not shown the reason is
however manyfold, but rational.

 https://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works

TLDR: Many aircrafts have no ADS-B transceiver, especially military, one
of the reasons they do not show up...

Here some other reasons not really listed on F24 follow.

Usually military flies above or under the known commercial routes so they
do not have to switch transponders and/or FoF (friend or foe) ID signal,
more as in "not obliged" while doing training flights, but most of them
do have them on.
Russians always have them on on almost all the known frequencies.
They had those on even doing the bomb runs in Syria.

MLAT - multilateral - or a GSS (ground, sky, satellite) - triangualtion is
another method to track the planes, but it is not the most accurate as
ground radars are mostly effective on the lower flying planes, below
11.000 meters. Military usually goes high up to 18.000 or even 20.000.

Other reasons  - as in  FR24 and almost all other trackers - are to not to
create a clutter as most of the people are interested in commercial
flights.

Also if you subscribe for a fee on some you'll get all the info as in this
case:

 https://milradar.livejournal.com/

So there is no plane today that can really hide in the skies regardless of
being NATO, stealth or anything else.

But I wish you good luck in finding hidden planes, sounds fun if anything
else.

Berlin being far for me, I am more fascinated by those guys at:

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php

That is a lot of electricity and a pile of cool antennas tracking it.

just a quick remark

my best

Harv

--