bronac ferran on Sun, 1 Sep 2019 19:41:40 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> don't be afraid of 'project fear'

Hi James

sounds good to me.

Hi David

Reading this phrase: North Ireland given to the Republic of Ireland

The word 'given' sounds a tad colonial unfortunately. Northern Ireland is a place in its own right and is already part of Ireland.
Those living there may well also, if invited, exercise their own agency to 'separate' (having voted in the majority to remain in the EU) and to reunite
with the rest of the country. If that happens then sure what is taking place in England currently may have some ultimate benefit.

What is more interesting is that the Irish border that exists only virtually now has taken on a substance that might make or break the so-called
union. Why do we care? Because it is the playing out of a logic that has many long-term implications for a country whose own self-identity
has been built on superiority. This is simply the psychological unfolding of a long-term delusion. Its consequences however will be the poor will get poorer,
the rich richer, the 'establishment' get to look down again on the queues, the excluded, the homeless, the hungry and to yet again feel superior.

Years (indeed decades) of investment using public funds, including massive EU investment, is being trashed.
Do we care, should we care, of course.