John Preston on Wed, 29 May 2019 14:22:51 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Eric Whitacre, Virtual Choir

Greetings all,

The YouTube algorithm gave me a TED talk by Eric Whitacre [1] sharing
his work conducting 'virtual choirs' where people recorded their parts
separately and uploaded them to YouTube. The individual performances
were then rendered together to create the final 'performance'. The
project is on-going [2].

I thought this was a nice example of a work of a traditional medium
being transformed through network technology. Particularly the
asynchronous nature of the process is very different from how a
physically co-located choir would operate, and the result is not a
conventional performance but a recording (hence my previous quote
marks).

I'd like to see a live performance by such a physically distributed
choir using low-latency technology.

John

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NENlXsW4pM
[2]: https://ericwhitacre.com/the-virtual-choir