Rob Lucas on Tue, 6 Nov 2018 11:37:49 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Interview with Richard Stallman in New Left Review (September-October 2018)

I’m glad to see that this interview has sparked an interesting debate. It’s been a pleasure to read all your thoughts, and I only regret that I didn’t push more on some of these important issues myself in the interview. But we could only cover so much ground.

In private conversation with RMS I summarised the main initial points as follows:

How should one view the labour of developers that has gone into producing things like Red Hat which—as I’m sure you are well aware—was just procured by IBM for an astonishing $34bn. How much was unpaid voluntary labour? How much was paid for at normal programmers’ wage levels in the contributions of organisations like Red Hat to the Linux kernel? Should something of such stratospheric valuations be passed on to the original developers, and how might that be organised?

His response, which he sent with the permission to post:

I think those questions are a doctrinaire distraction from the real
issue at stake.

Linux, the kernel typically used with the GNU operating system and in
Android, does not belong to Red Hat or to IBM.  Likewise for the GNU
packages that Red Hat contributes to: they belong, in a legal sense,
to the Free Software Foundation, but it is only their steward on
behalf of the public.  These programs belong to the public.

We're grateful when companies put funds into developing these packages
which everyone can use in freedom.  They join thousands of individuals
volunteers that contribute to free software packages, and we're
grateful for their work too.

To fuss about how much money Linus Torvalds will get for Linux, or how
much I will get for the GNU C Compiler, is a distraction from what
really matters: that these programs are available for everyone to use
in freedom and communuty.

He and I, separately, had the opportunity to assure ourselves of
profit, by releasing software after the user-subjugating fashion of
Microsoft and Apple.  If we had done so, if we had made our software
an instrument for our power over its users, we might get more of the
superficial reward of money.  But would deserve a punishment for it
rather than a reward.