Carsten Agger on Sat, 3 Nov 2018 20:34:32 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Interview with Richard Stallman in New Left Review (September-October 2018)

On 11/1/18 12:46 PM, mp wrote:

On 01/11/2018 10:23, Carsten Agger wrote:

That's another question and a valid argument: Do we even want computers
to exist at all?

Note, that if we *do* want it, software needs to be free.  And, if we
can't avoid them to exist and we need to use software, software also
needs to be free.
There's an additional (meta)question: what kind of software/hardware?

The alphabetic culture that spawned book culture, which in turn led to
computers, is only one of an infinity of possible literacies (beware
conflating the general with the particular). "The book" (and now the
computer) has also historically been a colonial force that violently
destroyed all other forms of literacies: it is a monocultural literacy.

That's completely true. That a written culture was introduced, in my own part of the world as late as around 1000 along with the introduction of Christianity, doesn't mean that people were "ignorant" or "illiterate" before that time - on the contrary, they had a rich literature including thousands of poems, stories and songs, the vast majority of which are now lost, all of which was memorized and orally transmitted.

And as the written language takes over, the motivation and, in the end, the capacity for memorizing everything dies, and a rich way of thinking and transmitting and living with literature is lost.

So when advocating software freedom I'm not, let's be clear, saying we should necessarily have software or build our infrastructure with it and the hardware it runs on. I'm saying that software freedom is a necessary (not sufficient) condition for a society built on software to be free.

I also believe that widespread computer literacy, enough to enable groups without access to heavy funding to build their own infrastructure, is necessary for that purpose.

But, unlike Stallman, I don't love programming and working with software as such - I always considered it to be work, not fun. I'd definitely rather have a society without the extreme centralization of all communication infrastructure we're seeing in these years - Google, Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, Microsoft and Apple be damned and go to hell.

See for instance attached paper. Here is a quote touching upon some of
the significant aspects of these colonial/conquest processes:

"The narrow vision of what ‘writing’ was led to the encoding of
indigenous languages in Roman script in an attempt to ‘render the spoken
visible.’ Latin was seen by those chronicling the ‘New World languages’
as a universal linguistic system, and as such this was taken as the
grammatical basis for the Amerindian languages (Mignolo, 1992,
p.  304). Since they were Spanish speakers, the early scholars’ attempts
to represent the sounds of the languages were governed by Spanish
phonographic rules (the lasting effect of which will be discussed in the
third section of this article). The first ‘alphabetizing’ of indigenous
languages, then, can be understood as an “opression symbolique” (Calvet,
1999, p. 233), a ‘symbolic oppression’ whereby languages are forced into
the norms of an external system and made an object which the
colonizers can ‘possess’ (Mignolo, 1992, p. 306). From the outset, the
‘technology of literacy’ was used in such a way that it removed language
and literacy from the indigenous peoples and reframed them to fit with a
colonial worldview."
Very interesting, thanks!
This kind of literacy has brought us detachment from the soil and the
earth as such, climate chaos and, in its Twitter form, Trumpisms.

Yes. And given the coming fascist takeover in Brazil, enabled by fake news (outright and very deplorable lies) spread through Facebooks WhatsApp product, all the more scary these years.

Best

Carsten