Emery Hemingway on Thu, 1 Nov 2018 11:15:40 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Interview with Richard Stallman in New Left Review (September-October 2018)

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 4:43:20 PM CET, Francis Hunger wrote:
Hi everybody,

I was a bit disappointed, that this kind of 'weak' Stallman interview
was published in the New Left Review. 'Weak' insofar as I can't see much
'leftist' in it.

Free Software is barely a political concept as it lacks any distinction
between ends and means. Software that is free to use with available code
is a requirement for many things, but sufficient for nothing. Furthermore,
GNU/Linux is an industrial product best leveraged by something like IBM.
I don't help people install Ubuntu anymore because I have no interest in
fixing problems introduced by Red Hat/IBM or explaining what is hip about
operating systems from the 1970s. If IBM wants Linux, let them have it.

E.