K E N O on Thu, 1 Nov 2018 11:14:16 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Interview with Richard Stallman in New Left Review (September-October 2018)

Don’t we have to think about more sustainable ways to produce hardware? There’s – of course – Heidegger viewing technology as the destruction of nature. Even if we wanted, could we stop using and producing hardware?
I think it’s hard to condemn free software because of *evil* hardware. We rather need to get rid of cyber-utopian ideologies wanting to free the world through technology. Free software is rather a social phenomenon than a technical. I hope there will be more open hardware movements and Repair Cafés fighting towards more a more sustainable economy in general. As often, I think it’s a systemic problem.

K E N O