Jan Wildeboer on Wed, 8 Feb 2012 19:54:54 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Sex Work and Consent at @transmediale

On 02/08/2012 11:27 AM, Nick wrote:

> I'm not sure how comfortable I am with switching to
> discussing the value sex work brings to society. It does
> seem to be a step up from talk of 'consent,' but it still
> seems like an odd frame to me. Why do we need a framework
> deciding whether it's a "valid form of work" in order to
> discuss rights and conditions?

Because in many places sex work is illegal and thus the sex workers do
not get any form of protection. In germany, where sex work is not
illegal, it means that sex workers can call the police for protection in
case sth goes wrong. They can even take their customers to court in case
they refuse to pay.

They also have to pay taxes. But they also can join the health insurance
system as they have an official employment.

These are just a few points to consider when discussing the status of
sex workers.

Now this doesn't mean that all sex workers in germany do it for the
lulz. Far from it. Trafficking still exists and economical needs
continue to force people to sell their body out of despair and not out
of consent.

Jan