Rama Hoetzlein on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 03:56:50 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> some more nuanced thoughts on SWARTZ

You may be interest in this series of videos by Al Bartlett, especially
part 2:
http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy_video1.html

People use their education for good and bad. The common view is good
education improves quality of life, reduces birth rate, solves problems,
and creates stronger communities. However, the truth is most people in
the world use their education to gain an economic advantage over others.

People try to do good. They believe their new industry job solves world
problems, or they believe their education can help their family and
community, but it is often at the expense of others.
Personally, I think every education must start with Al Bartlett's videos
above. As part 2 says (time 5:20):
  "Everything humans do that improve life: health care, motherhood,
family, law, agriculture, technology. All of these make the population
problem worse."

The concept of a good education would be one where we learn to reduce
our own consumption and population. How do you create an education to do
that when the perception of education, the whole purpose of education,
by the majority in the world who want one, is that your education will
give you an advantage in life?
(Maybe not Nordic countries, but definitely US, China, and most 3rd
world nations, so most people.)

I totally agree we should be well educated.
I'm just saying its a hard problem, not easy to define what well
educated means.

Rama

On 7/26/2011 11:34 PM, MK Karnak wrote:

>All of this stupid, greedy crap is working to ensure that we are all
>ill-educated.
 <...>