Fuster, Mayo on Wed, 20 Jul 2011 00:15:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Aaron Swartz charged for downloading too many Journal articles from the Library: Please sign suport petition.

Hi! Aaron Swartz Internet activist (and friend) has been arrested for
downloading too many journal articles from the Library. Please sign
the petition of suport and help to spread the word, Mayo

NY Times article: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/reddit-co-founder-charged-with-data-theft/

//// Aaron Swartz charged for downloading too many journal articles
from the Library ////

Shocking news: Moments ago former Demand Progress Executive Director
Aaron Swartz was indicted by the US government. As best as we can
tell, he is being charged with allegedly downloading too many journal
articles from the Web. The government contends that downloading so
many journal articles constitutes felony computer hacking and should
be punished with time in prison. We disagree.

Will you click here to sign our petition of support for Aaron?
http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/support_aaron

The charges are made all the more senseless by the fact that the
alleged victim has settled any claims against Aaron, explained they've
suffered no loss or damage, and asked the government not to prosecute.

James Jacobs, the Government Documents Librarian at Stanford
University -- where Aaron did undergraduate work -- denounced
the arrest: "Aaron's prosecution undermines academic inquiry and
democratic principles," Jacobs said. "It's incredible that the
government would try to lock someone up for allegedly looking up
articles at a library."

Will you click here to show your support for Aaron?
http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/support_aaron

Thanks for your support and concern as we help see Aaron through these
tough times. We'll keep you updated.

 -- The Demand Progress team

P.S.  Please considering forwarding this email to your friends or using the links below to alert them to Aaron's predicament.

??????`??.(*??.??(`??.?? ??.????)??.??*).????`????
????????*???????? Mayo Fuster Morell ??.??.??*??`????
??????`??.(??.????(??.??* *??.??)`??.??).????`????

Research Digital Commons Governance: http://www.onlinecreation.info

Ph.D European University Institute
Postdoctoral Researcher. Institute of Govern and Public Policies. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
Visiting scholar. Internet Interdisciplinary Institute. Open University of Catalonia (UOC).
Visiting researcher (2008). School of information. University of California, Berkeley.
Member Research Committee. Wikimedia Foundation

http://www.onlinecreation.info
E-mail: mayo.fuster@eui.eu
Skype: mayoneti
Phone Spanish State: 0034-648877748