Juergen Fenn on Thu, 6 May 2010 19:05:29 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> .another internet is possible!_

Am 02.05.10 05:01 schrieb Orton AKINCI aka .-_-.:

> networking and meeting with the
> new people, with the new people whom you will choose and want to be
> networked that you can not meet in your physical environment was a
> great opportunity on mailing lists, on irc, even on icq. but whom
> we are networking on facebook is our high school friends that we
> have mostly choosen not to see any more and our families who had
> the control on us telling us what to do and what not to since our
> childhood. on the internet, now we are who we are in our life in the
> "babylon". we are not free on the internet anymore. we feel the same
> pressure of control on the internet as we feel it on our daily lives.
> the internet is not a "beach", not a place to escape to, not a place
> to take a breath, not a place to be free, anymore...

Social media has changed the public sphere. And I would like to add
another point. On the one hand, civil society creates its own newsticker
streams via Twitter and Facebook timelines with its own content. It is
different from the content in corporate media. On the other hand, if you
surround yourself with real-life friends only on these platforms a
social network turns Biedermeier-style: Closed circles, no outsiders
looking in, you are very much entre nous, no one interfering. So,
although we receive news over these new channels, in fact there is no
danger of anything completely new coming through. And that's a striking
difference between social media and, say, mailing lists and usenet.

Regards,
Jürgen.