Brian Holmes on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:47:40 -0400 (EDT)

Re: <nettime> Ippolita Colective: The Dark Side of Google (Chapter 1, first part)

The translation seems great to me!

Nowhere could one find a better example of a second-order
cybernetic enterprise, with its propensity to exercise power
not over the players like you and me, but over "the rules of
the game," as Foucault once put it. This is the ongoing
quest of Google, to create the environment in which the
entire global consuming class now spends -- accent on the
"spends" -- a significant amount of its time. The dark side
of this equation is simply the unrealized obscurity of all
that you can never be, when you must evolve within the
parameters that someone else has set to keep you in their
order. Escape the overcode, indeed.

best wishes and good luck with the following chapters!

Brian