Naeem Mohaiemen on Mon, 5 May 2008 17:01:04 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Bengal Famine

Thanks Patrice for bringing up the Bengal Famine. Amartya Sen
famously argued in his study that famines do not occur in functional
democracies with free press and democratic institutions.

As Bangladesh debates "hidden hunger" (new euphemism for near-famine)
or "monga" (a new Bengali phrase for near-famine), we look at the
Military-backed Caretaker Government and wonder if Sen's prediction
will prove correct again. Will a military junta fail to acknowledge
the crisis in time.

The Economist analyzes how the food crisis has queered the pitch for
the military's plans:

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11058143

Then again, the counter to Sen's democracy=food formulation can be the
biggest famine in Bengal since 1943, which was under the democratic
government of Sheikh Mujib. But there too, there are other obfuscating
factors. Christopher Hitchens argued in THE TRIAL OF HENRY KISSINGER
that HK should be on genocide trial for blocking US grain shipments to
Bangladesh. Alexander Cockburn made a similar argument in CORRUPTIONS
OF EMPIRE.

Meanwhile the food lines are endless, everywhere in this city.