Benjamin Geer on Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:28:29 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> report_on_NNA

One of the things I like best about nettime is the high
signal-to-noise ratio, and I think it's got better over the last few
years.  It seems to me that a lot of thought generally goes into the
postings that appear here, thanks both to the authors and the
moderators.  So if a day goes by without anything appearing on the
list, that seems fine to me.

I think nettime is a sort of middle way between an academic journal
and a traditional discussion list.  It's much more open than an
academic journal, but its standards are higher than those of most
lists.  The high standards make academics want to post ideas here, but
the openness means that non-academics can reply, and can post their
own ideas.   I think that's good, because it goes against the tendency
for academic discourse to become self-referential and disconnected
from discourses and practices going on elsewhere.  I personally don't
care where nettimers work or what their titles are; I like that we can
have a dialogue here that cuts across professions.

I suspect the makeup of this list reflects at least one important
social reality, that of solidarity between different kinds of
"knowledge workers" and artists whose lives and work have been
profoundly affected by, and who have been participating in, global
transformations in communications, media, knowledge production and
politics.  Tactical media has been just one manifestation of that
group's appearance on the world stage.

Ben