Newmedia on Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:28:09 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> report_on_NNA

Folks:

Time(s) moves along -- especially nettime(s).

Forgive me if this has already been stated but there were a number of
specific "conditions" that made nettime possible -- the inflating of the Internet
Bubble in the late 90's, the disruption in many people's lives as funding for
artistic/academic work across Europe dried up and the early East-Meets-West
exhilaration following the Fall of the Wall -- all of which have come and gone.
None of this is relevant anymore.

The ways that ALL this intersected the personal lives of Geert, Pit, Diana,
Janos, Barlow, Barbrook, Kroker, Delanda, Davis, Hakim Bey and all the others
(yes, including me) -- in that particular time(s) -- is what made nettime
possible.

Then we will have to factor in the crucial overlap/conflict between nettime
with George Soros and *his* network. If you leave Soros out, nettime makes no
sense at all.

Particular people.  Particular events.  Particular conditions.  Particular
time(s).

Not "activism."  Not "net.art."  Not "community."  Not "theory."  Not
"practice."

Time(s) moves along -- especially nettime(s).  So what about these time(s)?

Best,

Mark Stahlman
New York City