nettime's academy on Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:26:37 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Webbys reshape the web [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> Webbys reshape the web
     marc <marc.garrett@furtherfield.org>

   Re: <nettime> Webbys reshape the web
     { brad brace } <bbrace@eskimo.com>

   Re: <nettime> Webbys reshape the web
     JeremyUK@cs.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:42:13 +0000
From: marc <marc.garrett@furtherfield.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Webbys reshape the web

The Webby award is no way, a worthwhile barometer of what is happening
on the net creatively (never has been), it just helps those who are able
to pay the cash, to be part of a 'naff' spectacle, and competitive
cliche against other groups and artists, forcing them to hate each
other, via idiotic jealousy- climbing over each other to get on-top of a
delusory/heirarchical throne.

Personally, I would feel pretty embarrased to be part of such of a
(false economy) system. I would prefer it, if smaller groups/projects
are supported in a less 'combative', top-down way- by not putting them
in the position of fighting against each other all of the time, like in
a net-gladiator ring situation, it is an old-fashioned and cynical
approach...it just ain't progressive, psychologically or emotionally.

We reshape the web in our own various ways, and this should be respected
and acknowledged.

marc