Andrew Bucksbarg on Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:50:37 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> a new definition

Regarding the term "new media"-

The practice of codifying a term such as this is very interesting and
it is ironic that it is occurring within the technology itself,
technology(s) that continues to be defined, such as "blogging", this
list, etc.

Is there a shiny prize here?

Let us suppose we can take some steps back and ask exactly what this
process of cementing a term means.  Is this a territorialization by
persons or institutions?  What is the intent of this debate or
claim?  What is the gain?

There is potential in the indeterminate.  I relish the
transdisciplinary confusion computer technology has produced- a
pleasing, meandering "fluxus".

The adjective "new" is an interesting sell here.  The spirits of
corporate products reinventing themselves pops-up unwanted on the
screen.  There is an energetic burst around the polarity of new and
old- "new world", "new world order..." a place for prospecting,
conquering, refuge, freedom, escape...

Is there anything really new about media or our social reaction to
changing and defining forms?

I am enjoying the space of "redefinition" in which the term new media
abides...

Ndrew
andrew@adhocarts.org
abucksba@indiana.edu