Nmherman on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:00:03 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Interview PLW

In a message dated 3/18/2002 5:34:53 AM Central Standard Time, john.armitage@unn.ac.uk writes:

Isn't it about time we all stopped playing along with this silly game? Forthe
record, PETER LAMBORN WILSON IS HAKIM BEY -- the 'Prince of Liteness'.
John.

So here's another angry one about the anonymous/pseudonymous writer Hakim Bey.

I am not in the know on many aspects of the internet, but is knowing PLW is HB necessarily unfortunate?  Even though 031802 is a time of war and exponential growth in informational power, I think the process of history remains the same, just speeded up.

I'm aware of Paul Virilio and his theory that everything is going too fast.  Fortunately or not I find his overall conclusions somehow narrow.  On the more serious side, I think his premises and conclusions are poor even by academic tastes.

This is not to say the concept of ultraspeed is not important to new media art.  It's an element of our history as well as the technology of art.  However it is a limited and maybe overrated idea in my opinion.

Why do things happen in history?  I don't know.  If PLW is known to be Hakim Bey, does that make him a liar, a sellout, come in from the cold, or none of the above?  What is history?  I swear it seems more like a wheel than a line.  Making what we have now a nightmare etc.

For the personal record, I would like to interview PLW about Genius 2000.  I bet he would like it despite my own sickening defects.

Maybe not,

Max Herman
http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000/2000.html
http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000/animalbreeder/prodserv.html
(PO Box is closed do not send anything there svp)

++