PROPAGANDA on Wed, 5 Dec 2001 02:31:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] /// 0100101110101101.ORG /// FTPermutations_1.3

/// FTPermutations /// http://www.webartery.com ///

# From:  "Talan Memmott" <talan@m...>
# Date:  Tue Dec 4, 2001  2:42 am
# Subject:  web art and intervention

> >I don't think it depends on how this went down... Though I do
understand
> >your distinction between their own directory and those of the other
> >artists...
>
> yes, this is m.portant. i'd like 2 make it clear here that i'm not
trying 2
> d.fend 0100101110101101.ORG's actions, but rather open up room 4
discussion
> regarding this action/n.tervention/attack, & the idea of co-opting a
medium
> to reflect aspects that d.fine it......woteva u term it. i term it
> n.tervention. interference would probably b a more accurate term.

To make this point....  Does the intervention, action, interference have
to be destructive...?  And, would it have been depleted in impact if the
Curator and other Artists were made aware that the work was going to be
transformed....?

> > > d.pends on the nature of the 'attack'...is the interface still
messed up?

> >In consideration of the issues they claim to be addressing by doing
this...
> >And, that the curator and artists had no knowledge of this
beforehand... I
> >find it difficult to validate this 'action' [as it were]....
>
> ok! i can understand y u would find it difficult 2 validate, of
course,
> again, i'm not trying 2 validate 0100101110101101.ORG actions, but
rather
> look @ the idea of re.n.venting & stylising traditional presentation
> mechanism & realigning them in2 another ][net.reflected][ di.mension.
>
> [ i must use terminology that comes across as absolutist. i'll try and
wurk
> on that].

Mez, it is not that your language is absolutist... Rather; the reasons
given by 01etc.org and their changing hands so as to make the
disgruntled artists into the 'boobs' in this for complaining about their
work being screwed, just doesn't jibe... It makes me angry actually....
Not that, 01etc participates in this sort of things, creates this sort
of work, but that they did not have the foresight to consider
ramifications...That they essentially screwed over the artists by making
this move, then complain as artists, about the artists complaining about
them doing this...

Here are the three main points in their explanation
1) net.art has moved from its roots
2) servers are vulnerable
3) the net is a funny place and this action demonstrates it [if you
don't get it you are stodgy]

some thoughts.... Alan took care of #1..... I mean, cave painting moved
away from its roots..... world cultures move away from their roots....
#2 is a big --- Duuuuuh from my perspective.... #3 who was this funny
to?  I get it, and I still don't think it was funny.... The subversion
is twisted... Doesn't add-up politically, creatively or anything...

The action is misguided in my opinion for a couple of reasons.... 1) it
assumes a power that it claims to deny... 2) it missed its target a)as
most Users just saw fucked-up work and were not aware 01etc.org was
involved at all  b)the Curator had no idea and was not able to provision
for it  c)the other Artists were completely unaware.

> >The Korean Ministry of Culture is asking the curator to pay back all
the
> >money for the development of the site, infra-structure, the festival
and
> >such.... And, will be out of a job... Kicked out Korea if he cannot
pay...

> wow, that's very rough...there isn't anyway of switching the
responsibility
> on2 0100101110101101.ORG's shoulders?

Well.... That would be fine.... But, they are just the little artists,
while the curator is the CURATOR and responsible for the show...

Interestingly enough, 0100101110101101.ORG is one of only 2
groups/artists that was actually invited to Korea.... That should be an
interesting meeting between them and the curator....