Nmherman on 27 Dec 2000 04:58:43 -0000

[Nettime-bold] The end of the debate, such as it was, between Herman and Ross

Subj:    RE: RHIZOME_RAW: David Ross Discusses Max Herman for Boxing Day
Date:   12/26/2000 8:39:02 PM Central Standard Time
From:   daross51@pacbell.net (David A. Ross)
To: Nmherman@aol.com

Enough. This will be my last response to your ranting.

++

And this will be my last response to David Ross's recent attempt to shut me
up using cheesy curator inveigling.  I take it that Ross considers my writing
to be ranting, worthless of consideration, whatever.  Maybe this cold
shoulder tactic works on weak dissenters, but I'm a strong dissenter with no
bridges left to burn.  In fact, all my bridges lay before me.  I've got a
good idea for a network and the technology to sustain it, so there you go.

Alex is a fairly OK chap it seems, I pity him in a way, and since he asked me
to quit attacking David Ross personally onlist I will.  (I love that the most
public, powerful, influential people always get to hide behind the illusion
of personal space.  As if it's not David Ross responsible for the SFMOMA;
he's some kind of impartial steward of sacred principle and protected from
personal accountability.)

I'll just end by saying, to those who have ears to hear, that David Ross
doesn't like and won't acknowledge Genius 2000, now or ever.  He must know
I'm forwarding his dismissal, and since it will include the word "ranting,"
he may hope to deceive the average art-spectator.  This would work against
worthless ideas but it will fail against Genius 2000.  There must be a French
word for his last response; "let him mange gateau" is all I can come up with
offhand.

Max Herman and his Network, Genius 2000, are indigestible to the Museums.  I
built this indigestibility into the concept from day one and have managed not
to remove it.  By now it is integral.  The signatures against Steve Dietz
will rack up as the disenfranchised seek an outlet, and David Ross's tenure
will be marked by his unbelievably corporate managerial methods.  After all,
I know how to entertain the mob, and I can sense when they wish to speak.  I
love to hear them speak; it is like manna to me, rare and nutritious.

So everybody out there, keep heart:  the real game is not yet afoot.  There
will be artists of the elder caste, striving to brace and glorify the mighty
institutions funded by the elitist rich, and there will be artists who pray
never to be incorporated.  I am thirty-one years old and I know the next
half-century of media development will determine the planet's fate.  I'll see
it happen before my eyes.

The greatest living historian, some guy from Oxford, says that the twentieth
century didn't even need to happen.  Idiots blundered into World War I and
got their paycheck with World War 2.  This guy is a real guy, someone reading
this must know his name, and the other professors at Oxford hate his guts.
His work renders generations of venereal scholarship leatherbound
superstition.

As Brad Brace keeps saying, the Art Museum is Not Your Friend.  My career is
going to prove this, by giving you all (well most) a new friend.  Soon
several judges of Conference 2000 will have new tapes, and Salvaggio will
have his copy of Jockbuster.  Vesna will be sent hers before the end of the
year.  The Video First Edition will air on cable access in Portland Maine.
As next year's budget takes shape--and it will--much much more Network
material than you can imagine will appear.  We don't care if anyone likes it;
we merely put it there.  We know someday people will laugh with joy at what
we did.

++

Misjudged, spoken-against,
Take thought:
I have weathered the storm;
I have beaten out my exile.

Last of all:  If you want to influence or help boost the network, you may do
so in many ways.  you can email me to send links or texts; you can send me
video or paper at Nickolas Herman, P.O. Box 14443, Minneapolis, Minnesota,
55414; you can do anything you like without telling me; you can think good
thoughts; you can inform others and see what they do; you can do your own
local version of Genius 2000.

As for the artists who choose to align with the museums, I forgive you.  you
are not to blame anymore than Republicans.  When you get right down to it I
forgive everybody for whatever they do.  I admit however that when one deals
with artists, a good eye for leeches is a must and is something I try to
cultivate.

Max Herman
The Genius 2000 Hut
First 20 Millennium Hut Monitors Available Now
http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000/2000hut.GIF