Heiko Recktenwald on 2 Nov 2000 17:13:50 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Artists and Industry, Unite!

> aesthetics, teaching technology and "the art of the screen saver."

I downloaded the new MS Media player 7 and although it has a very nice
filelist feature, where you can click on any file in a filelist, I decided
that it sux.

Compared to older versions, there is a move from the empowerment of the
user, who could once save media files in a different format etc, more that
nothing, to the empowermnet of the content producer.

It is even worse with Quicktime and Realmedia. You download MBytes, the
telecom is happy, and then you cannot play it offline, because there is
some crypto in it.

Bye, bye everybody is an artist, who deconstructs and reconstructs.
Compare SMIL and the like, .smi, .asx, to the elegant simplicity of m3u
or mgu filelists, that were nothing but lists of URLs. I dont say, that
SMIL is "bad", it just shouldnt be used to gain world domination.

One thing that sux extremly, see it from an artistic point of view, or
the code is law thing, is that the new MS Media Player cannot have
multiple streams. For exemple you cannot click on a m3u filled with audio
and another, maybe this is an accident, that it works anyway, filled with
video. To see how m3u works with video see http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs106/
On Unix, I can have multiple video streams, very easily, much fun..

I havent finished my experiments yet, but it looks very grey in
pepperland. The web is getting one big Director thing, with very limited
interactivity.

H.