geert lovink on Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:39:23 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Ivo Scoric: Focus on Global Issues

from: ivo@reporter.net (Ivo Scoric)
subject: Focus on Global Issues

Landmines:
http://balkansnet.org/sa-mines.html
http://balkansnet.org/mines.html

White Rabbit Cult:
http://balkansnet.org/wrc.html

Gas Prices:
Somewhat coinciding, although maybe not directly related, with the
NATO bombing campaign against Yugoslavia, in March last year
OPEC agreed to trim oil production. The prices are rising ever
since. I spend about eight dollars a week more on gasoline than I
did last year at the same time doing the same job that requires me
to commute 32 miles a day. A 62% increase. With my income
level this starts to bite into my "way of life." I guess that affects
millions of people and makes them unhappy, not just me.
Evidently, unlike with Kuwait, oil can't be called upon as a reason
for the U.S. involvement in the Balkans. People may begin to ask
why are we spending money pretending to be good Samaritans
around the globe, when there is nothing in it for us, and the gas
prices nearing its 1980 gas crisis levels are definitely not the
encouraging factor. They killed the Democratic campaign then,
they may do it again. Republican candidates are toying with
isolationism card, and more and more people are looking their way.
Unlike the current administration, the next one may not be as
committed to "straightening bended rivers" (a Yugoslav saying
meaning trying to do utopian things), which may prove disastrous
to the Balkan crisis. One possible route is to admit Iraq oil back to
the world markets - which is a tough choice: appease one dictator
(Hussein) to be able to fight another (Milosevic).

Starbucks:
Two Starbucks coffee shops were destroyed during the anti-WTO
demonstrations in Seattle. A Starbucks shop was demolished by a
large metal ball in the movie Fight Club (and in the book) a few
months before Seattle. Earlier, Starbucks was featured as world
headquarters of Dr. Evil in the Austin Powers sequel. As early as
April 1999 Newsweek reported that the glass storefront of
Starbucks in Portland, Maine was smashed three (3) times in the
single month.  So just out of curiosity I did a little on-line research
into why Starbucks is an object of such hatred:

The "McDonald's of coffee" (NASDAQ:SBUX), mocked on this page
-  http://home.sprynet.com/~hotoff/starbuck.htm - for attempts to
control the stories about its image, even on the net, got in trouble
sometimes in 1994/1995 winter with revelations of how much the
global coffee producers did not care about miserable conditions of
plantation workers in the Third World countries where the coffee is
grown: worker in Guatemala made 2 cents for gathering the amount
of coffee beans Starbucks would sell for 8 dollars. Shame,
however, should not have been placed exlusively on Starbucks:
the majority of specialty coffee firms at that time had not
considered working conditions in coffee-producing countries a top
ethical priority. "Purchasing products without regard to their effect
upon local environments"  was ranked the thirteenth most
significant ethical blunder, behind situations including, "Roasting
beans with  no formal training," and, "Fixing prices with
competitors," according to a January 1995 survey of members
conducted by the Specialty Coffee Association in Long Beach,
California. However, Starbucks did not only sell coffee - it sold
coffee to the "cool crowd" and the "cool crowd" is more concerned
with overseas ethical issues than ordinary folks who just buy plain
coffee. That's where, I think, the Starbucks failed. Now it is too late
to restore the image, it seems. Starbucks Coffee Company did
release their "Framework for a Code of Conduct" Oct. 20, 1995 in
response to a grassroots campaign demanding that Starbucks set
minimum standards for working conditions at the plantations from
which they buy. In addition to pledging to limit child labor and
support workers' access to safe housing and healthy workplaces,
Starbucks code states that "we believe in the importance of
progressive environmental practices and conservation efforts,"
"...wage and benefit levels should address the basic needs of
workers and their families," and "people have the right to freely
associate with whichever organizations...they choose."
However, there are important shortcomings to Starbucks' new
code. It lacks any reference to possible enforcement mechanisms
such as discontinuing purchases from non-compliant suppliers.
There is no explicit support for the right to collective bargaining nor
opposition to discrimination, and there is no reference to
consulting with unions to develop a plan for implementing the code
in Guatemala.

Do not shoot the messenger:
Internet lists are filled more and more with sometimes nauseating
posts about Western bias against Serbs. Indeed, today it is difficult
to find in mainstream global media, particularly American, an
article that does not depict Serbs with derision or disdain. But this
was not always so. U.S. media do not have a particular hatred
against Serbs. They just go along with what they expect would
best sell their publications. Since in the past ten years Milosevic's
disastrous policies brought Serbia and Serbs in the position of the
world's rogues, the media picked up on it. It would be wrong to
conclude that Western media created monsters out of Serbs, as it
was sometimes suspected by people on various lists on the
Internet. In fact, mainstream US publications gave a lot of
reasonable doubt to the early years of the Milosevic's rampage in
the Balkans. For example, in the first six weeks of 1992 (the end of
Vukovar campaign - http://balkansnet.org/vukovar.html) New York
Times correspondent Chuck Sudetic cited Serb sources twice as
often as Croat ones. In 1993, as war in Bosnia was raging, from
May 1 to May 10, an activist with the American Croatian Society
was counting how many times did New York Times articles
regarding the war in Bosnia quote Serb, Croat and Bosnian Muslim
sources. The results of the survey were as follows: Serb=86, B-
Muslim=21, Croat=0. At the same time, Yankelovich Partners poll
showed that 53% of Americans said that they "don't know enough"
about reports of Serbian atrocities to believe them. Not until 1995
with the ITN's vivid pictures from the camps, Roy Gutman's article
in New York Newsday about rapes and particularly with the
detention of Christian Science Monitor journalist David Rohde
during the siege of Srebrenica
(http://balkansnet.org/srebrenica.html) did the writing of
international media actually change. This change was in sync with
the change in the US government policy that lead to NATO
bombing, no-fly zone over Bosnia and Dayton agreement
(http://balkansnet.org/dayton.html). The US mainstream media are
not directly controlled by the US government as the Serbian
maistream media are controlled by the Serbian government, but
American journalists love to be invited to White House dinners and
they all envy their colleague Strobe Tallbot on being so "close to
the source" with his job at the State Department, that they do
prefer to flatter their own government much rather than
Milosevic's...

Greenhouse gasses:
A few days ago, Rutland Herald's front page top story was about
scientist's findings that planet's oceans are indeed heating up as
suspected by various environmenalist groups. Mild winters greatly
hurt Vermont's economy. Vermont, the second least polluted state
in the Union (past Alaska), is also the third poorest, with its
economy limited by Article 250 (a State law that practically makes
impossible to build a factory there) to the service industry. The
service industry in Vermont is mainly concentrated around winter
sports resorts (which explains Rutland Herald's exceptional interest
in the story): New England's mountains, although lacking height,
are among coldest and windiest in the world (actually the highest
speed winds in North America were recorded on Mt. Washington in
New Hampshire), or at least they were so until the global warming
kicked in. For several years nicknamed El Nino, now finally even
the US government admitted its us - we, the people, did it to our
planet. Operating our power plants, factories, cars, heating devices
- we burn a lot of stuff. Fossil fuels are dead trees, dead animals.
Since the development of steam engine, and particularly with the
internal combustion discovery, we have put the planet in the
permanent state of an immensely large forest fire. The enormous
amounts of carbon-dioxide produced by that fire simply can't be
absorbed in time by the natural mechanisms (like green leaves),
and there are less of them, too - due to logging, paper production,
etc. So, CO2 acumulates in the atmosphere and blocks the return
of sun's heat back to space, creating the greenhouse effect.
Oceans warm up slowly, but they do. And we have more volatile
climate everywhere (hurricanes, floods, draughts, ...). Vermont is
suffering through yet another record warm winter with record low
snowfall - and every season sets new records. I guess in a decade
we won't go to Vermont to ski and snowboard but to mountain bike
and wakeboard, while for skiing and snowboarding we'll have to go
to Alaska or Himalayas.

No justice, no peace:
No, not Kosovo - New York city: it happened again - the NYPD
shot an unarmed minority male with no apparent reason and
walked. In about a year the NYPD officers killed four unarmed
Black men who posed no threat to them. And that's on top of
sodomizing Haitian immigrant Abner Louima, who survived police
torture. Mayor Giuliani gives his police wide berth, so they enjoy
freedoms almost like Milosevic's police in Kosovo did before NATO
intervention. Check out http://balkansnet.org/raccoon/torres.html
for a Puerto Rican man that they shot in front of my home in NYC.
The latest killing finally brewed up a riot:

"The New York Times, 3/26/2000
Grief Turns to Violence Against Police
        By ROBERT D. McFADDEN
           On a day of solemnity and outrage that degenerated into
violence, Patrick M. Dorismond, the unarmed son of Haitian
immigrants who was shot to death in a confrontation with the police
on March 16, was carried across Brooklyn, eulogized as a martyr
and laid to rest yesterday after a march and funeral that drew
thousands of anguished mourners and angry protesters.
        Before and after his funeral, there were clashes between
protesters and the police, and wild scenes and sounds of chaos:
barricades tumbling under surging crowds, American flags burning,
the clashing chords of car horns, and the crash of glass thrown
from a height, all beneath the airborne staccato of police
helicopters.
        The police said 23 officers were injured, most of them cut by
flying glass, although one suffered a leg injury and a possible
broken nose. Four civilians were injured and at least 27 people
were arrested, most of them on charges of disorderly conduct."

Note the use of the term "civilian" in the article. I wonder should the
citizens of New York call for international community to react and
send UN peace keepers in Flatbush? Or maybe we can still afford
to negotiatie with Giuliani? He does, though, appear to be as
recalcitrant as Milosevic:

"The mayor came under fire from critics for releasing information
about Mr. Dorismond's police record, including sealed juvenile
records, for not visiting or even expressing regrets to Mr.
Dorismond's family, and for defending the police actions in the
case, as he had in previous shootings.
        The mayor was not at the funeral. "In situations where the
person involved may have been involved in a crime, the mayor does
not attend the funeral," the mayor's spokeswoman, Sunny Mindel,
said yesterday."

So, young Mr. Dorismond was presumed guilty by Mayor Giulliani
on the pretext of his past sealed juvenile record with no benefit of
the fair trial and the due process. Because he was simply shot
dead by Giulliani's police. This is worse than Albin Kurti received
from Milosevic.

ivo