PS1 New Art on Mon, 6 Mar 2000 03:02:42 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] A Sort Of Simulation-Sincerity

A Sort Of "Simulation-Sincerity"
ARTFORUM MARCH 2000
http://www.restlessculture.net
---------------------

"Pussy and Beer was a simulation. My ex-girlfriend lives in Berlin and I
never took any risqué Polaroids of her during the duration of our otherwise
tumultuous affair.  I don't even usually drink Budweiser beer and I'm not
sure I am the correct Cary Peppermint anyway."

- Cary Peppermint from Santiago, Chile, via phone interview

"Pussy and Beer and Online Auction via Ebay.com" provoked responses ranging
from annoyed, self-described feminists to a loose group of irreverent sports
fans.  It is conceivable, however that all responsive parties to the work
were united in their undeniable state of arousal regarding the gesture of an
artist who auctioned a set of erotic Polaroids of  his ex-girlfriend and a
case of beer using the online services of Ebay.com.  When asked about his
intentions with the work Peppermint says, "I wanted to feel judgment and
morality directed upon me.  I wanted to access a junction in myself where I
am capable of such a base act of betrayal and perversion.  The most
successful aspect of this simulation is that I did in fact begin to feel the
pangs of guilt exacerbated by the fact that several 'artists' even refused
to speak to me for a while.   Also interesting was the fact that many people
wouldn't address the work by its proper title, instead referring to it as
'The Beer Piece'."  For Peppermint this was a sort of psychological probe,
an assessment of where we are morally and politically situated within the
micro-cosm of the online art world and beyond.  When asked about the
validity of works of simulation on the part of the artist Peppermint shrugs,
"The advertising world and its incessant stream of texts tells lies in the
service of capital and exchange. I attempt to locate a sincerity amidst the
same system of lies only this time in the service of art and at a
personalized cost of my own psyche, a sort of 'simulation-sincerity'."

-LB

Pussy and Beer
http://www.progirl.com/pussy

Peppermint : Directory