John Hopkins via nettime-l on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:28:51 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Swipe, a Smart Phone Movie by Mieke Gerritzen/Next Nature

Brian, I sense that you are standing by the concept of the exceptionalism of the human species. I also hold some internal space for the potentiality that what is here—humans on a planet within an indeterminate cosmos—is something 'special'.

However, having formally finished eight years exploring localized geosystems, unless invoking a god/goddess-factor, I more-and-more view human presence as simply one element in *the* whole cosmological 'natural' system. We are 'of' the materials of the planet; we alter the materials of the planet (not unlike all Life that we know of); we came into being at one moment in time of the planet's limited existence; we will vanish in a relatively short time. Traces will remain, as much of Life leaves both tangible and invisible traces of its passing. Everything we know, again, aside from a 'super-natural' god/goddess-factor suggests that everything is transitory.

This way of thought—one influenced deeply by that immersion in geoscience/deep-time perspectives—places little dominion in the abstracted monuments and detritus of thoughtless power we have built and will build to ourselves: they are as transitory as everything else.

The conflict between these two thought-systems, in my existence, is ongoing and without conclusion, apparently until I conclude that existence, at which point I will either know, or I will simply not exist except for the remaining, momentary negentropic energies I temporarily harnessed while be-ing a transitory form of Life.

I think we share that ambivalence, you with a bit more faith(?) in the potential for altruistic relief within the species.

cheers,
John