Brian Holmes via nettime-l on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:37:26 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Swipe, a Smart Phone Movie by Mieke Gerritzen/Next Nature

MP asked:

"Or everything is natural in our culture?"

I am currently reading about biomimicry. You probably know a lot about it,
curious to hear your ideas. The concept suggests both a distance between
humans and nature, and a possible rapprochement. To me that's intuitive. I
can't accept the idea that there is no difference between humanity and
nature. Sure, if you adopt a (fictional) distance of a million miles away,
then our little planet is going through a typical, natural ecological
overshoot phenomenon that will lead to a typical, natural period of forest
fires, rising oceans and perhaps eventual disappearance of water and
oxygen. But as a situated being, I see an ever-diversifying and intricately
self-regulating biological world that is mostly subject to intrusive human
violence, but which can also be understood, imitated, stewarded and so on.
Conversely, the full-on postmodern idea that humanity has artificialized
everything and nature is a social construct seems to me wrong and disproven
by the storms of the Anthropocene. This is why I really appreciate
Christian's statement that "whatever we mean by nature it is necessary to
keep the discussion about the meaning of 'nature' possible."

Nature is somehow an Other with whom we must compose. Which doesn't just
mean leaving it alone. When the American agronomist Wes Jackson proposed
"nature as measure," it was in view of transforming the agricultural system
through the creation of perennial grains. Biomimicry, in short.