Brian Holmes via nettime-l on Thu, 28 Dec 2023 05:56:40 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> the silence on the rising fascism

Joseph Rabie asked a real question:

"Might the amount of global passion relative to this conflict occur because
it involves Jews? In a revival of antisemitism that Jews suffered in Europe
and elsewhere? This is what Israelis believe when they hear that sinister
slogan, “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free”. Where does
that leave them, apart from in the sea?"

From all reports this fear affects the entire population of Israel, faced
not only with Hamas but with broader threats from surrounding countries.
How could anyone fail to understand it? That's why I felt such revulsion
when leftists in Chicago demonstrated with images of paragliders. If either
side could win, if victory could be justice, then I could be "for" one side
or the other. But no one wins at this point. And wider war is on the
horizon.

The conflict involves the US directly, and all the Western alliance
countries. To answer you, Joe, I think the global passion comes from this
kind of deep involvement, and not only from antisemitism. IDF jets, bombs
and weapons are largely made in and partially paid for by the US, whose
military support for Israel over the decades has been particularly cynical.
The exercise of vastly superior power, coupled with the arrogant sense of
invulnerability it brings, has generated hatred for Americans as well as
Israelis. Why did a US president have to embrace the fascist Netanyahu?
Biden acted out the emotional lie at the basis of an antiquated ideology
dating back to the Cold War and Hiroshima. If the fantasmatic sense of
invulnerability is maintained, the wars will go on in the place of
desperately needed transformations, and we will all end up in the rising
seas of climate change.

The primary lesson coming out of Germany today is that the culture of
memory has turned into a justification for the current global hierarchy and
its many forms of violence, both abroad and at home. It's true as far as I
can see. "Nie wieder" has become a kind of frozen monument whose
philosophical basis is the absolute singularity of the Shoah: we are told
again and again that nothing else compares. But every act of rationalized
violence does bear comparison to what happened in Germany, and the society
in which I live has committed those acts again and again. We should
definitely remember the Shoah, as a clear and present danger within every
nation state, not as an absolute exception.

I am now reading a very searching book called "Haunting Legacies: Violent
Histories and Transgenerational Trauma," by Gabriele Schwab, who is a
German emigrée to the United States. It focuses on the trauma of
perpetrator societies confronted with the unspeakable horror of their own
collective acts. The main idea, borrowed from the psychoanalysts Abraham
and Torok, is that the memories of these acts become encrypted within the
individual psyche, entombing the humanity of the perpetrator societies and
distorting their thoughts and behaviors. There are some passages that
relate directly to our conversation:

"People have always silenced violent histories. Some histories, collective
and personal, are so violent we would not be able to live our daily lives
if we did not at least temporarily silence them. A certain amount of
[psychic] splitting is conducive to survival. Too much silence, however,
becomes haunting. Abraham and Torok link the formation of the crypt with
silencing, secrecy, and the phantomatic return of the past. While the
secret is intrapsychic and indicates an internal psychic splitting, it can
be collectively deployed and shared by a people or a nation. The collective
or communal silencing of violent histories leads to a transgenerational
transmission of trauma and the specter of an involuntary repetition of
cycles of violence."

Schwab follows Hannah Arendt to locate the origins of the Shoah in
imperialism:

"When European men massacred the indigenous people, Arendt argues, they did
so without allowing themselves to become aware of the fact that they had
committed murder. Like Conrad's character Kurtz, many of these adventurers
went insane. They had buried and silenced their guilt; they had buried and
silenced their humanity. But their deeds came back to haunt them in a
vicious cycle of repetition. Arendt identifies two main political devices
for imperialist rule: race and bureaucracy: 'Race... was an escape into an
irresponsibility where nothing human could any longer exist, and
bureaucracy was the result of a responsibility that no man can bear for his
fellow-man and no people for another people' (207). The genocide of
indigenous peoples under colonial and imperial rule was silenced in a
defensive discourse of progressing civilization, but it returned with a
vengeance. Race and bureaucracy were the two main devices used under
fascism during the haunting return to the heart of Europe of the violence
against other human beings developed under colonial and imperial rule."

All of this applies to America's 500-year history. We are a remarkably
violent society, founded on genocide and almost constantly at war for the
past eighty years. Based on thousands of years of history, many would argue
that war is an intrinsic part, not of any single society, but of
civilization. So what meaning could one then withdraw from the ideas that
Gabriele Schwab presents?

Humanity is something that no one simply has by nature. Humanity is
something that one must strive for, recover, repair, remake in every
generation. There are no "just wars" - that is a self-serving and dangerous
illusion. The only dignity is to break the silence in one's own self, and
use the tragic consciousness of unjust violence and murder most foul as a
force for ceasefire and negotiation.

I used to think I wasn't involved in the Middle East, that it wasn't my
problem. How wrong I was, and how much humanity I sacrificed.

Ceasefire now, Brian