Andreas Broeckmann via nettime-l on Mon, 25 Dec 2023 18:57:47 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> the silence on the rising fascism

Dear Siraj,

apologies for the delayed answer. Thank you for your thoughtful message. I'm neither a political theorist, nor can I say anything about police strategy. I also cannot answer your recurrent question re: who is benefitting from restrictive police actions. - Over the past ten weeks there have been demonstrations in Berlin regularly in solidarity with the people of Palestine and against the terrible Israeli military campaign in Gaza, the last one was two days ago, on Sat 23 December at the central memory site of Brandenburger Tor, and a few days earlier there were a few hundred people demonstrating for a similar cause at the more mundane Hauptbahnhof, the main train station. Various Berliners join these demonstrations.

What I can perhaps say something about is this question:

What were once acceptable protest placards
are now charged with being signifiers of 'hidden antisemitism' e.g.
the placard with 'From the river to the sea, we see equality', or
'From .... to ....' (left blank).

In my view, this change came with two events on 7 October. The first event was the Hamas-led attack on Israel and the murder of around 1200 people in Israel, as well as the hostage-taking of over 120 people. The brutality of these attacks has been deeply shocking, and the fact that Hamas themselves distributed photo and video footage of civilians being massacred made this even more disturbing than it already was. It was reminiscent of the darkest moments of humanity, among which are not only the Shoah, but also pogroms like the deliberate and genocidal killings of Jews in many different places in Europe, in the decades and centuries before. Only that these murders mostly went unrecorded, for fear of retribution, and maybe also out of shame for something that was deemed wrong even by the perpetrators?

Due to the atrocities of 7 Oct, the claim "From the river to the sea" has taken on a different meaning. Until then, it was regarded as a barely veiled threat (to create a Palestinian state from the Jordan river to the Mediterranean, i.e. by eradicating the state of Israel) that was seen as drastic, but maybe the respective placards carried at earlier demonstrations were sometimes tolerated because it was hard to imagine that there was a realistic chance for something like this to happen; would pro-Palestinian forces even have the actual political will to execute such a plan, or was it ('From .... to ....') just a maximalist demand, made under the presumption that eventually only a partial solution would have to be found in negotiations? Thus one possible assumption until 6 October.

However, since 7 Oct, the will to actually destroy the state of Israel and to kill its inhabitants seems to have become a more realistic possibility. And it seems hard to imagine that people who have been carrying placards through Berlin during the last weeks, placards making the claim ('From .... to ....'), are not also aware that what they are saying will now be read differently.

The second event that changed the connotation of the protest placards you mention is the fact that, on that same evening, there was a group of people in Berlin-Neukölln celebrating the Hamas-led attacks. This celebration may have been even more crucial for the changes in police and public tolerance that you are observing. It is morally outrageous to imagine that there was a public demostration cheering the mass murder which had happened on that day. Personally, I don't have words for it. I cannot speak for anybody else, but from what I know about the German post-WW-II psyche, this event (this public "celebration") is one of the darkest moments in recent German history.

Since you are asking, I take the liberty to suggest that maybe your reflexions on the reactions to the demonstrations of the last 10 weeks should take this into account.

(About the following I'm not sure, but I have a sense...: The shock of witnessing these "celebrations" is not a sign of Othering those pro-Hamas demonstrators; I think the full force of this shameful moment comes from the fact that it happened here, among us, by people who live in this city, people who belong to the "We" of the Berlin inhabitants. Many of us have years, sometimes decades of experiences with the Berlin sociocultural mix, and most of us here were new arrivals at some point. - Unlike you, I think that the psychological drama you are witnessing and describing is not an issue of "Them", but of "Us".)

I may not have been paying sufficient attention, but I am yet waiting for somebody to say that they feel ashamed about the crimes committed on 7 October. Not because they were among the thousands of people who participated in the attack, but because they feel ashamed how the rightful cause of the Palestinian people has been tainted by these attacks, and how something utterly awful has been done in the name of a future, free Palestinian state. - When will somebody mention the progrom, by this or some other name, and maybe use one or the other adjective to offer a sign of rejection or moral indignation?

Regards,
-a