Keith Sanborn via nettime-l on Mon, 25 Dec 2023 03:04:21 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> the silence on the rising fascism

In my for once humble opinion, silence has many meanings according to context. As has been pointed out, there is the silence of the powerful and the silencing of those who protest, who touch historical nerves. There is also a silence of the normally vocal to make a space for listening amidst the disinformation wars which vocalize simplistic conflicts in order to muddy the waters. There is also the silence of the fearful and the confused, the perplexed, and the thoughtful. Many Israelis and those outside are in the latter position: burdened by history and conscious of the moral evil of what goes on in Gaza in their name. They are all too aware of their own silent complicity in the slow genocide which has now reached an accelerated pace. And the massacres perpetrated by Hamas can only touch the nerves of inherited trauma. The three hostages gunned down—silenced—by the IDF can only amplify their realization that the reaction to Hamas has reached a murderous pitch, if they choose to ignore the murders of Palestinians. Ordinary Palestinians experience being silenced by the destruction of the means of communication with the outside world and by an abject struggle for daily survival. “It’s complicated,” can indeed be a simple fear of taking a moral stand. Silence = Death, as we know all too well, and yet obfuscation is as bad or worse than silence, as it is disinformation that serves murderers as much as silence. The inheritance of trauma serves as no justification for mass murder.

Merry Christmas