David Garcia via nettime-l on Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:43:20 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> silence on the lam(bs)

Brilliant Ted and necessary - Silence does not always =....

"Lurking" isn't a bad thing, in fact it's often a *good* thing: listening more than speaking, attending more than "performing," considering rather than deciding, deferring rather than asserting. I think it's high time the left recognized that traditional notions of "solidarity" aren't always and only an unalloyed good.

I suppose I need to add: I'm not saying people shouldn't talk, debate, whatever. I *am* saying that, when they don't, it can mean many things — and learning to listen for those subtleties and ambiguities can itself be a positive contribution — if not for now then maybe for the day after.

Ted