Ravi Sundaram via nettime-l on Sat, 11 Nov 2023 08:32:04 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Delhi workshop CFP: Twenty-First Century Media?

 Dear nettimers,

This may interest you:

CFP: Twenty-First Century Media? Affective Bodies, Crowds and Collectives

21-23 March, 2024, Delhi, India.

In the last two decades, digital media infrastructures have spread
worldwide, including the global South. Despite inequalities of access,
low-cost mobile devices and cheaper broadband have connected large
subaltern populations to media infrastructures. The effects are
increasingly planetary, initiating a series of debates in media scholarship
and cultural theory. Mediatisation has emerged as a material field that
drives circulation, sharing, and modification, generating intense rhythms
of political engagement and action. We are interested in this junction, the
combinations of sensory media infrastructures with political metamorphoses.

The emergence of digital media in the 21st century was hailed as opening
new avenues of participation, immersion and resistance. Recent diagnostic
critiques have focused on the ‘feed-forward’ nature of 21st century digital
media, the “shift from a past-directed recording platform to a data-driven
anticipation of the future” (Hansen), the routinisation of spectacle in
everyday life and the destruction of sleep(Crary), the expansion of
surveillance and control with platforms(Zuboff). The contagious nature of
social media generates cycles of imitation: shaping social movements,
populist collectives, mis/disinformation, info-wars, and political stardom.
Digital media animates bodies, connects technical and natural environments,
posing pressing questions for techno-social milieus worldwide.  Global
media platforms produce remarkable interventions: troll farms from Russia
periodically intervene in overseas debates, South Asian internet users have
been active in online flame wars and misinformation on Israel/Gaza. We see
a blurring of older divisions between diasporic, international, and
domestic publicity; mis/disinformation pipelines are increasingly dynamic.

In this workshop, we are interested in site-specific contributions mapping
21st century media, addressing material and environmental questions for
media and political aesthetics. While we are open to diagnostic and
media-theory contributions, we will give weightage to abstracts that bring
in original research.  In particular, we welcome contributions from the
Global South.

Themes

The forensic turn in media scholarship: case studies.
Structures of Feeling: feed-forward, addictive media, and new time-spaces
of media events.
Inhabiting Mis/disinformation: Beyond True and False.
Persistence of 20th-century media? Cinema, video, sound and the
contemporary.
Circulation techniques: Pipelines, Info-war and comparative studies of 21st
Century propaganda and publicity.
21st century celebrity culture: influencers, microcelebrities and the
political.
Affective Bodies: audiences, publics and collectives in an emergent digital
universe of political aesthetics.
21st Century television: media events, political spectacle, liveness.
Law and 21st-century media: platforms, content moderation and takedown
notices.

Please submit a 500-word abstract by 10 December 2023, along with a
paragraph-length bio to digitalnetworksworkshop@gmail.com. In your
abstract, please mention at least one of the themes mentioned above.
Practice-based contributions which address the conceptual lens of the
workshop are also welcome.  Selected speakers will be required to share a
draft paper with discussants before the workshop.
The workshop will take place at the Sarai <https://sarai.net/>media
programme of CSDS, in Delhi from 21-23 March 2024.  Accommodation and meals
for the duration of the workshop will be covered. Selected speakers from
India will also be eligible for travel support to Delhi. Overseas speakers
are encouraged to cover travel expenses from their home institutions. We
may be able to part-support a small number of need-based travel grants for
selected speakers based in the Global South.

Links:

Call page:
https://sarai.net/events/call-for-papers-twenty-first-century-media-affective-bodies-crowds-and-collectives/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/csdsdelhi/status/1722499456166150229