Allan Siegel via nettime-l on Tue, 10 Oct 2023 11:58:30 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> silence on Palestine?

Hello Nettime...

"On 09/10/2023 22:06, Brian Holmes via nettime-l wrote:
In the situation of chaos it is important, not only to state one's own beliefs, but to actually listen to others. The debates within civil society, and the formation of public opinion, do exert some influence over the behavior of states. If left/progressive voices are not heard, well, that's our fault, we need to be more convincing.
AND

There is no reason to believe that a simple breakdown of the Euro-American hegemony is positive in and of itself. But the world has embarked on a bloody political transformation, under the shadow of catastrophic earth-system changes." both of these from Brian's post.

And, I would add to Brian's comments that not only do we need to be more convincing but also to persistently update concepts of what the public sphere encompasses and the forms of communication that enliven debates within civil society. The chorus of progressive voices is very fragmented with the sopranos not listening (or simply paying lip service) to the tenors. This is very problematic because the droning sounds of neo-fascism have a consistency that appeals to large segments of our various societies. Brian's second point I think is extremely important "catastrophic earth-system changes"are inseparable from the other political issues that we are contending with (like the Israeli/Palestinian conflict) and we need to maintain political networks that reinforce these connections. best allan