Brian Holmes via nettime-l on Mon, 9 Oct 2023 22:07:56 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> silence on Palestine?

Thanks Andrew, for launching this thread, and also to Dan for saying so
many true things.

First, I believe that when people are dispossessed, held in an open-air
prison and murdered arbitrarily, that adds up to profound injustice and
leads to deep hatred.  It is a condition that I do not know intimately, yet
it has been sustained militarily by the United States throughout my life.
To that extent, I am involved as a citizen in a situation where I think my
country is fundamentally wrong. I consistently disapprove and protest both
this specific injustice, and the broad imperial strategy that underlies it.
And I have said this publicly, including on nettime, for decades.

So what, I can add, echoing Dan again.

But talking about it does matter. In the New York Times today, a
commentator says that this war is yet another sign that we have left the
postwar US-led hegemony behind and entered a multipolar world (1). This can
be verified in many ways. To me it has been clear since the moment that
China expressed its qualified support for the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
In this situation of hegemonic breakdown or transition, no conflict is
simply regional. Each of the countries in which we live will do its part to
influence the outcome of those conflicts, and thereby help shape a new
pattern of international relations. In the meantime, chaos will reign,
under the continual threat of wider war. In the situation of chaos it is
important, not only to state one's own beliefs, but to actually listen to
others. The debates within civil society, and the formation of public
opinion, do exert some influence over the behavior of states. If
left/progressive voices are not heard, well, that's our fault, we need to
be more convincing.

Many commentators have pointed to the not-yet-signed treaty between Israel
and Saudi Arabia as the reason for the Hamas attack. This treaty would have
represented a major advance for the US version of global security. It would
have forged an alliance between two US client states: the world's major oil
supplier and the major military power of the Middle East. Obviously, Saudi
Arabia is an extremely conservative state, opposed to any grassroots
movement or challenge to existing governments in the region. For Hamas, the
argument goes - and for Iran, as some add - the Israel-Saudi alliance would
represent an existential threat. Some additionally claim that the Saudis
would have supported the Palestinian Authority over Hamas, placing the
entire region on a pathway toward peace. I am unable to evaluate the claim.
Of course it is meaningless under present conditions, which have already
plunged into horrifying violence. However, it may again become important in
the future.

A multipolar world is not yet a world order. Its first phase could be world
war, or a multiplication of proxy wars, by which I mean regional conflicts
overdetermined by the strategic aims of larger powers. There are now two
proxy wars going on, as well as a vast reorganization of global alliance
systems driven by Chinese ambition and relative US decline.  I do not see
this as a situation where I can "support the Chinese" or "stand with Hamas"
or say "death to imperialism." No, those kinds of statements are idiotic.
We do not need the language of the 1960s in the face of today's reality.

I think that the Euro-American attempts to maintain the terms of the
post-WWII world order, and of its neoliberal reboot, are now doomed to
fail. The kinds of injustice exemplified by the inhumane conditions of Gaza
are too widespread. They do not primarily involve outright repression and
the reduction of entire populations to the status of prisoners. They do
primarily involve the maintenance of highly unequal economic exchanges
under the continual threat of coercion (which could be military action,
sanctions, financial disruptions, etc). The only way for the Western
countries to exert a positive influence is to replace an imperial strategy
aimed at securing Western advantage with strategies aiming at the provision
of global collective goods in the face of onrushing climate change. In the
absence of any such change in grand strategy, world war is increasingly
likely.

There is no reason to believe that a simple breakdown of the Euro-American
hegemony is positive in and of itself. But the world has embarked on a
bloody political transformation, under the shadow of catastrophic
earth-system changes. What individual states do, actually matters. We
currently have no language to speak about the chaotic conditions of an
emergent multipolar world. But it's urgent to develop that language - and
to do it with open ears and an open heart.

best to all, Brian

(1).  David Leonhardt, "The Global Context of the Hamas-Israel War." New
York Times, Oct. 9,
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/09/briefing/hamas-israel-war.html.