honor ash via nettime-l on Sun, 8 Oct 2023 20:03:25 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> silence on Palestine?

hello,

thank you andrew for your provocation. i’ve never actually written to nettime before, but i read quite a bit. this topic is obviously one which is deeply sensitive and highly emotional. i’ve been kind of surprised to see so many people i follow in various places come down hard on one side or another. as always, matters of human liberation are quite nuanced.

my position, in all conflicts, is one in favour of liberation for all people. the atrocities committed against the palestinian people are inexcusable. personally, i have a very difficult time hearing of any death, aggression, or violence against any people – however i recognise that the palestinians have been pushed into a position of having very little choice. i believe it’s 70% of people in gaza who live without access to sewers. this is directly the fault of their oppressors. they are advised to ‘leave the area’ yet they have nowhere to go. it seems almost inevitable that eventually, this would turn into a violent attempt to liberate their population.

we only need to look at history to see that often, violence is the only thing which actually works.

in terms of why the silence.. ordinarily i would not consider this anywhere near to ’things i know enough about to meaningfully comment’. maybe that’s a failure of my own curiosity. generally, i feel it is more productive to work towards liberation of communities i can materially affect, for we must advocate for the human rights of every person on this planet, the vast majority of which are not reliably met. we each have limited resources with which to enact change.

there’s also the matter of sourcing accurate information. the more removed your source, the less likely for the information to be accurate.

empathy, and solidarity, with all oppressed people.

---
honor ash
artist, writer & performer

🔗 https://hnr.fyi