paul via nettime-l on Tue, 8 Aug 2023 01:06:03 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> RIP Bram Moolenaar

Agreed Ted.

> On 8 Aug 2023, at 00:25, Ted Byfield via nettime-l <nettime-l@lists.nettime.org> wrote:
>
> For many years, nettime ran on bespoke hacks of Mailman that allowed mods to use the text editor vim to clean up messy formatting, hack away at the endless quoted text that accumulated, compile digests from threads, maintain procmail and spam filters, and more. In different and non-obvious ways, all that tweaking was essential to the list's...I dunno, style? aesthetic? vibe? It's interesting to think about what word would express (not "capture," ugh) whatever all that was. In any event, I think it's fair to say the list probably wouldn't still exist if it weren't for vim.

I wasn't aware of that bit of intertwined nettime/vim history, but i'm not surprised, given just how ubiquitous and thus influential vim was and still is.

This sad news also struck me because Bram's name is probably the first one i remember clearly seeing regularly, from the very first forays i made into exploring Linux and other nerdy hobbies. Decades later, even if i don't use vim as regularly these days, many aspects of his and countless others' FOSS still permeate my day to day life and profession.